killing butterflies for fun???

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Fri May 10 16:11:11 EDT 2002

	(If you're fed up with this topic, DELETE NOW!)

	I can understand why Mr. Sugar was shocked to find that Leps-L
included collectors, when he expected it to consist entirely of non-
consumptive butterfliers. And clearly he was not aware that arguments
about collecting, pro and con, have gone on for years on the list. None-
theless, calling collectors 'morally criminal' and 'murderers' is not
exactly being 'polite and respectful' in my estimation.

	May I suggest that Mr. Sugar find a local Lep. Soc. member, and
read Art Shapiro's article 'The Morality of Collecting: Who Cares and Why?'
from the News of the Lep. Soc., #2, 1993? That should convince him that all
these matters have been discussed before.

> And to think, I came to this site looking for help.

This site _is_ a source for help for anyone interested in butterflies--and
you might also note the OLWW list (do a web search) which gives you the
e-mail addresses and interests of many people who work with butterflies,
collectors and non-collectors both. However, if you come to Leps-L looking
for support for a political stance (non-collecting or collecting, either
way) you will run into people with opposing views. That's life...

> Can just anyone go out an kill butterflies just for the fun of it?

Yes and no. Some parts of the country require collecting permits, and tend
to issue them only to people doing scientific research. On private land,
and some types of public lands, anyone may collect butterflies for any
reason, although BLM requires a permit for _commercial_ collecting. But
I don't know anyone who _kills_ butterflies for the fun of it. People who
_collect_ for the fun of it do not necessarily _kill_ for fun. Put it this
way: I love woodworking--but I don't hand sand a large panel of wood for
the fun of it. It's just something that has to be done along the way.
Collectors don't gaze on dying b'flies in killing jars with enjoyment for
the sake of watching them die.

> There is a HUGE difference between accidentally running over a butterfly
> and killing one for the fun of it.

To the human being, maybe--but not to the butterfly. A recent issue of the
Lep. Journal pointed out that over 20 million b'flies are killed per
_week_ along Illinois highways by vehicles. Compared to this slaughter,
the depredations of collectors are negligible as regards common and
widespread species.

Also, the word 'fun' is being used to downgrade collecting. However, most
craftsmen enjoy their craft, and have fun doing it. People who collect
butterflies as part of their work usually _enjoy_ being in the field
collecting (I know I do). I collect for a valid scientific reason, but
I have fun along the way. It's only Puritans who believe that if it's
fun it must be immoral...

> I sure hope you don't teach your children that it is all right to murder
> innocent butterflies.

I have given many talks on butterflies to school children. I have even
demonstrated setting butterflies (yes, _dead_ butterflies) right in the
classroom. I tell the kids that collecting (obeying the increasing number
of laws involved) is an excellent way to improve one's knowledge of these
insects, and harmless to the species when done properly. Also, carefully
made and maintained local collecttions may be donated to museums, where
they become valuable resources.

> It seems I have found myself among the very enemy I hope to conquer.

Poor image there. How about 'have found yourself among people with differ-
ent views, from whom you might learn something'? Collectors and non-collect-
ors can and do co-exist, dewspite the way they wrangle on this list.

> Once a person's eyes are opened to the beauty of butterflies he or she
> feels a compulsion to protect them.  Well, those with a conscience, at
> least.

Most collectors also feel a compulsion to protect butterflies--but species,
subspecies, or populations rather than each individual insect. But I fail
to see why collecting moths is OK and collecting butterflies is not.
They're all the same thing, basically--and some groups of moths are _more_
beautiful to human eyes than most butterflies. And using _our_ estimation
of beauty is pretty anthropomorphic. It's OK to execute ugly criminals,
but not beautiful ones? I don't think so...

> I intend to turn around this disturbing trend that murder is okay as
> long as the perpetrator is having fun.

This is rhetoric, not logic--and sheds heat but not light upon the subject.
Murder is the intentional and unlawful killing of a human being. Period.
And I might add that even outlawing hobby collecting would not stop
collecting by serious amateurs--since many of them are research associates
at museums, and can thus obtain collecting permits (even for National
Parks). After all, there are still people collecting _birds_ these days,
carrying Federal collecting permits and shotguns.

							Ken Philip