The Far Side takes on our thread

Anne Kilmer viceroy at GATE.NET
Thu May 16 00:57:55 EDT 2002

James Kruse wrote:

> Interestingly enough, "The Far Side - Last Impressions" calendar yesterday,
> May 14th, featured a cartoon with two butterfly catchers (I say this because
> a true lepidopterist would never handle a butterfly by one hind wing). The
> one holding the butterfly said to the other, "An excellent specimen...
> symbol of beauty, innocence, and fragile life... Hand me the jar of ether."
>
> Jim
>

> James J. Kruse, Ph.D.

yes ... on the day that Joseph first burst into our ken, I moved a
painting in my Irish house and, in a forgotten built-in book case behind
it, found a Whole Book of Gary Larsen cartoons, many of them apt to the
subject. That was one of them.
I was tempted to start quoting them to you all ... and do you remember
the one ... but I ate something sweet and the notion fled.
What I have liked about the thread is that nobody, nobody, nobody is
jumping in on Joseph's side to denigrate and mutilate the collectors.
I have been entertained, though, by how many of the collectors buy into
the notion that if you are just collecting moths it is not as bad. Now
that's silly.
Pretty is not to be supported at the expense of ugly. Please.
If sentiment replaces science, we're all in the soup. That's the
insidious message behind Gary's little offering.
Cheers
Anne Kilmer
Mayo, Ireland