web-based collection information from the Strickland Museum

Felix Sperling Felix.Sperling at ualberta.ca
Fri May 17 18:19:08 EDT 2002

>Perhaps the future will be web-based maps that are open to revision
>as well as providing direct links between the mapped location and
>the collection information. This way erroneous records can be
>eliminated rather than persisting like some sort of virus. The Ohio
>State web site has a very good example for a proctotrupid wasp where
>one may click on a map location to get this information.
>     John Grehan

It looks like this is a good time to publicize our museum website,
which does just what John Grehan is asking for.

For an example of a web-accessible database that allows you to check
data for individual specimens, have a look at the U of Alberta
Strickland Museum's "Virtual Museum of Entomology" at
http://virtual-museum.sunsite.ualberta.ca/dig/search/ent/

We have species pages up for about 200+ lepidoptera of Alberta, and
specimen data for all the macroleps in our collection. Most of the
species pages have been written by Alberta Lepidopterists' Guild
members, including Gary Anweiler (150 noctuids etc.) with substantive
contributions by Chris Schmidt (40 arctiids) and Sherri Fownes (20
butterflies of conservation interest in Alberta). With 1000 macro
species in Alberta, and about 150 butterflies, this will obviously be
a work in progress for a long time. But we have some great pages up
now - try to enter "Catocala" to see what is there.

Species pages come with a utility that allows you to plot maps of
specimen localities, and a second utility that allows you to plot
histograms of seasonal distribution for museum specimens. The maps
are slow to load, and we are working on getting the outline of
Alberta to be a more recognizable shape, but you can use the "i" tool
to click on dots and get the specimen number. Then copy the specimen
number and paste it into the "fast find" feature" at the top of the
page to get the full information on that specimen. Alternatively, you
can just use "specimen search" to return a list of all the specimens
in a species (or from a particular collector, or date range, or
whatever). Then click on the specimen number on the condensed list to
get the full record for that specimen.

Several aspects of the site are slated for improvement, but at least
it is now quite useable. Feedback is always welcome, whether on
content or format.

	Felix

Felix Sperling
Director, Strickland Museum of Entomology
Associate Professor - Insect Systematics
Department of Biological Sciences
cw405 Biological Sciences Centre
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta  T6G 2E9  Canada