[leps-talk] MALE x FEMALE emergence

Nigel Venters nigelventers at ntlworld.com
Fri May 24 04:51:03 EDT 2002

Neil Jones wrote:
> The simple explanation as to why males usually hatch first is that they
> develop quicker, being smaller. The larvae pupate earlier and therefore
the
> adults emerge earlier.

Well this is an easy explanation that I have seen written many times
before...but I ask myself...why? If it were not advantageous for the males
to hatch first (generally)...then they wouldn't have developed this strategy
in the first place....also using your own rule of thumb...if we apply it to
the original question...then we must assume that all gregarious species...
where the females hatch first..... the females will be smaller than the
males...I don't think so. There must be more to it than this. Try some hand
pairing with Papilio or Nymphalid males less than 3 days old and see how you
get on.
Nigel