[leps-talk] MALE x FEMALE emergence

Hank Brodkin hbrodkin at earthlink.net
Sun May 26 07:43:03 EDT 2002

Nigel et al -
(Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary):
Parasitism - "an intimate association between organisms of two or more
kinds;  esp: one in which a parasite obtains benefits from a host which it
usually injures"   It is my understanding that a parasite does not usually
kill its host, as it is more benefit to tis host alive - or am I wrong?

A parasitoid, about which I think you are referring, Nigel: "an  insect and
esp. a wasp [also some flies] that completes its larval development within
the body of another insect eventually killing it and is free living as an
adult"

Mutualism would be a "mutually beneficial association between different
kinds of organisms" and symbiosis, at least in my dictionary  is defined as
"1: the living together in more or less intimate association or close union
of two dissimilar organisms  2:the intimate living together of two
dissimilar organisms in a mutually beneficial relationship; esp : MUTUALISM"

Of course it is possible these definitions have changed since my dictionary
was published in 1983.

Hank Brodkin
Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
hbrodkin at earthlink.net
SouthEast Arizona Butterfly Association (SEABA)
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/home.html
"Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
by Bob Stewart, Priscilla Brodkin and Hank Brodkin
http://home.earthlink.net/~hbrodkin/book.html