[leps-talk] value

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 31 01:28:22 EDT 2002

Mike,
   In the 18th April 2002 copy of Linn's Stamp News I note that an ordinary
1918 "Inverted Jenny"  (Scott US C3a) is offered by Mystic for $100,000; a
1908 coil par (Scott US 322) for $19,000; a 1986 "CIA Candlestick Invert"
for $15,000 - and these are just available US stamps.

   Last time I saw *Agrias* offered for sale, none were over $1,000.
   Last time I visited Deyrolle in Paris the *Graillsia isabellae* were cheap.
   I do not recall the exact prices asked for *Teinopalpus* in that Chinese
website (because the site was shut down), but they were under $1,000.

   These choice leps are just not considered very valuable by "collectors".

At 05:57 PM 5/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Chris, sorry to belabor this point but....
>
>Last year I had the opportunity to visit a spectacular gun and knife
>show in Albuquerque.  Anyone who hasn't had that experience should take
>the opportunity (except some states have banned the shows).  If you're
>not from New Jersey you can easily buy an exquisite 50 cal,, but that is
>besides the point.
>
>There were two booths there that had exquisitely mounted butterflies and
>beetles in the $35 to $1000 dollar range.  They were real gems, and
>although most people were there to buy or sell arms and ordnance (and
>books about how to get your criminal record expunged), the
>butterfly/beetle trade seemed lively indeed.
>

>Mike Gochfeld

    Yes I have seen these "mall-type displays" in Tennessee and Texas. In
the ones I have seen I would not describe the mounting as "exquisite", but
rather as deformed. One of these montages, offered for sale in Galveston
contained a strained *G. weiskei*, so I warned the proprietor to look for
the CITES papers as any Wildlife Enforcement Officer was liable to ask to
see them (providing the officer knew the listed butterflies on sight). All
of those I have seen have been well under $1,000.
    No I do not think there is a viable business in selling high-priced
butterfly specimens to US collectors. Now there may well be one in say,
Belgium, Japan or Singapore, but not for US butterflies.
    Dealers lists I have seen from US and foreign sources have been for low
value specimens. I really do not know how the dealers can stay in business.
Unless someone can provide substantiating figures, I shall continue with my
opinion that dealers are no threat to butterfly populations in the US. It
is my impression that all this talk of "big business" in dealing
butterflies is a propaganda construct - smoke and mirrors to brainwash the
naive nature lover into supporting and campaigning for bans on all
collecting and other hands on educational activities.
    By the way, in the past I have bought material for anatomical research
from some of the famous names (both scientists and professional collectors,
Wind, Welling et al.). I have not myself, sold any specimens, yet. Also I
do not keep a collection at home.
.................Chris Durden