[leps-talk] value

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 31 12:45:04 EDT 2002

Mike,
   To answer your question, there are 100 known "inverted Jennys".

    I don't think you get my point. A choice collectible has the value of a
car. A rare collectible has the value of a house. American collectors are
just not interested in acquiring butterflies as collectibles. The dealers
in butterfly specimens depend upon the decorative value of a prepared
butterfly display. This is worth the price of a dinner to the price of a
resort weekend stay.
    A population of butterflies in habitat is priceless, worth far more
than the houses or fields or mines or clearcuts that replace the habitat.
    A harvest of a fraction of one percent of a butterfly population (far
less than the avian predator toll) that provides specimens for education of
butterfly enthusiasts or historic documentation of the occurrence of a
species is well worth it.
...................Chris Durden