[leps-talk] value

Todd Redhead todd.redhead at sympatico.ca
Fri May 31 18:54:42 EDT 2002

Anne Kilmer wrote:

> One of the horror stories I have read tells of a collector taking all
> mature butterflies, all larvae, and removing all the host plants in
> order to make his little prizes far more valuable. (Obviously this was a
> species close to the edge, anyway.)
> That was a while ago, perhaps in Wales (Neil will undoubtedly be able to
> fill in chapter and verse) and there was a stark simplicity about the
> action.
> It is this sort of blithe ruthlessness that we fear, and we have to
> hope that the world of collectors is self-policing. What I have seen of
> it indicates that it is, indeed.

Just for the record, someone who does the above is not a collector.  The person
is a criminal and should be policed by the authorities of the land - not me.  I
might be the one who reports him, or if I caught him in the act I may feel
compelled to physically stop him (until the proper law official arrives).
However, I would not consider him part of the 'world of collectors' nor should I
feel any more responsible for him than anyone else who might come upon such a
person.

Todd