Butterfly names/Scientific names help

Bill Yule droberts03 at snet.net
Wed Nov 6 07:17:22 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Gochfeld" <gochfeld at EOHSI.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: <fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu>
Cc: <leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 5:59 AM
Subject: Re: Butterfly names/Scientific names help

> > Mike wrote:
> As you say about butterfly names, it is a vain hope for congruity,
consistency,
> and consensus...   It took a
> number of years to realize that if the butterflies themselves were
unpreturbed,
> I could make do with whatever names I chose.

 Your comments reminded me of something...

"I don't rejoice in insects at all," Alice explained... "But I can tell you
the names of some of them."
"Of course they don't answer to their names," the Gnat remarked carelessly.
"I never knew them to do it."
"What's the use of their having names," the Gnat said, "if they won't answer
to them?"
"No use to THEM," said Alice, "but it is useful to the people who name them,
I suppose. If not why do things have names at all?"

                              Through The Looking Glass.

                                            Cheers,
                                                      Bill Yule