Pieris brassicae in the Louvre

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Fri Oct 4 15:55:43 EDT 2002

Sorry to take the thread off on another tangent, but I was visiting the
Louvre in France on Wednesday and stopped in my tracks as I admired a 17th
century painting (or was it 16th?).  There, floating down above the
wrestling angels was the unmistaken likeness of Pieris brassicae - complete
with its oversized large black spots.  What was particularly interesting was
the detail the artist provided for the fluttering butterfly.  It included
the subtle yellow shading of the ventral hindwing, complete with venation.
The species was clearly readily available for perspective study at the time
of the painting.  I wonder how many he admired in order to capture the
likeness so effectively.

I wish I would have written down the artist and date.  It's cool to know
that these bugs have been around and have been enjoyed for that long.

Mark Walker.