Training Hikes #3 & #4 - 9/7,8/02

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Fri Oct 11 09:46:58 EDT 2002

See comments inserted.

	[Grkovich, Alex]  Mark, you should get one of those hand held pocket
coimputers that the MassLeps folks use to record their "sightings" in the
field: You know, they have all the species pre-inserted/input ahead of time
intot he computer so they can't miss or forget any. I SAW this personally in
the field: my fellow butterflier at the Milford powerlines had one, and he
had them all listed: "Cabbage White; Orange Sulphur, Common Sulphur, Common
Wood Nymph, Common Ringlet; Large Brown Butterfly..."

> [...]
> (Mexican Silverspot), Dryas julia (Julia Heliconian), Heliconius
> charitonius (Zebra Longwing), Thessalia theona (Theona Checkerspot),
> Chlosyne lacinia (Bordered Patch), Chlosyne janais (Janais Patch),
> Chlosyne rosita (Rosita Patch), Phyciodes phaon (Phaon Crescentspot),
> Phyciodes picta (Painted Crescentspot), Phyciodes vesta (Vesta
> Crescentspot), what looks like two phenotypes of Phyciodes texana (Texan
> Crescentspot), Anartia jatrophae (White Peacock), Junonia genoveva
> (Tropical Buckeye), Anartia fatima (Banded Peacock), Adelpha fessonia
> (Band-celled Sister), Adelpha bredowii (California Sister), Adelpha
> basiloides (Spot-celled Sister), Polygonia interrogationis (Question
> Mark), Mestra amymone (Common Mestra), Doxocopa laure (Silver Emporer),
> Asterocampa clyton (Tawny Emporer), a distinctively ventrally red
> Limenitus arthemis (Red Spotted Purple), Vanessa atalanta (Red Admiral),
> many Anaea troglodyta (Tropical Leafwing), Cyllopsis gemma (Gemmed Satyr),
> Danaus gilippus (Queen), Danaus eresimus (Soldier), and so many, many
> skippers.   We stopped and took some photos of the puddle parties, and
> attempted to maintain a good list of sightings, but it quickly became
> impossible.
>
> On Saturday, as part of our two day excursion, we climbed down some very
> steep cliffs to gain access to a lush riparian habitat.   This was
> difficult to traverse, and even more difficult for pursuing leps, but what
> an amazing place to experience.   The terrain was quite hazardous, and
> proved to be fatal for one particular bull that we found at the canyon
> bottom - stinking to high heaven under the noonday sun.   The animal had
> obviously become unloosed from its tether, the broken rope still attached
> around its neck, and made for a most unpleasant fall down the steep cliff
> sides to our canyon haven below.   We stopped and waited for some unusual
> lep to rest on this large piece of carrion, but none seemed too quick to
> comply.
>
> In this canyon paradise we found a few really unexpected surprises.   The
> first was a pair of Epiphile adrasta (Dimorphic Bark Wing), aptly named
> since we found the sexually different leps fond of alighting on tree
> trunks.   Another tree trunk percher that I was thrilled to find was a
> singleton of Eunica tatila (Large Purple Wing).   This is an insect I've
> looked for a number of times in Florida, and there it was in front of my
> face as I scrambled down the side of the canyon wall.   There were a few
> encounters that were so stunning that they literally knocked me off my
> feet - something which should be avoided when hiking in unfamiliar and
> dangerous terrain.   Needless to say, I ended up on my backside on more
> than one occasion.   For some unexplained reason, my two companions never
> seemed to experience this sensation.   At any rate, I was pleased to
> receive Doug's outstretched hands after enjoying one of these experiences.

	[Grkovich, Alex]   Mark, personally, I would have rather had LeAnn's
outstretched hand.

> [...]
> encountered - really only three - but with all the larger leps on the
> wing, it made it difficult to notice the occasional hairstreak flitting
> about.   The highlight was a singleton of a tailed female blue hairstreak
> with olive green scaling on the ventral side.   We thought it was
> Callophrys goodsoni at first, but that taxa is not tailed.   The ventral
> hindwing is similar, but has a dark band along the outer margin, a red
> spot in the mid-submarginal area, and a red extension at the tornus.   It
> could be Callophrys miserablis, but I would need a better field guide than
> Scott (anybody have a copy of Mariposas Mexicanas?).   At the precise time
> of the hairstreak sighting, along came another surprise - a Heliconius
> isabella, a Latin American species that Doug has not frequently sighted in
> the Monterrey area.   It was good to see him get as excited as me, even if
> for only a fleeting moment.
>
> Actually, that's not true...Doug was amazingly excited the whole two days
> through - which sort of sums up the emotional energy of a lepidopterist in
> the field.   We're kind of like kids in a candy store, if you don't mind
> me overusing the metaphor (Drool drool, hop jump, run to the pottie before
> wetting our pants...).
>
> Along one dirt road on Sunday we found a tattered Marpesia individual -
> not looking much like petreus, but pale orange - so I'm not sure what else
> it could have been.   Later Doug spooked out a Siproeta stelenes
> (Malachite) at one particular location - a nice sighting at days end.
>
> Below I've listed just a few of the skipper sightings.   I have to ask
> Doug to fill in any missing sightings (there are many) or corrections.
> The two days were incredible, and we were beat up and tired when we
> finished.   LeAnn finished strong, as I panted and wheezed for air -
> licking my wounds and aggravating my future outbreak of poison oak rash.
> Oh, the joys of butterflying.
>
> I have to thank Doug publicly again, both for his hospitality and
> willingness to put up with a particularly crazy lepidopterist.   And I
> thank LeAnn for bringing a little sanity and normalcy to the escapade.
>
> Partial Skipper list:
>
> Epargyreus clarus (Silver Spotted Skipper)
> Aguna asander (Gold-spotted Aguna)
> Chioides zilpa (Zilpa Longtail)
> Urbanus dorantes (Dorantes Longtail)
> Numerous other unidentified longtail skippers
> Astraptes fulgerator (Two-barred Flasher)
> Astraptes alector (Gilbert's Flasher)
> Autochton cellus (Golden Banded Skipper)
> Celaenorrhinus fritzgaertneri (Fritzgaertner's Flat)
> Eantis tamenund  (Bat Skipper)
> Timochares ruptifasciatus (Brown-banded Skipper)
> Staphylus mazans (Mazans Scallopwing)
> Staphylus ceos (Golden-headed Scallopwing)
> Cogia outis (Outis Skipper)
> Pellicia dimidiata? (Morning Glory Pellicia)
> Chiomara georgina (White-patched Skipper)
> Helioptes domicella (Erichson's White Skipper)
> Pyrgus oileus (Tropical Checkered Skipper)

CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission is
intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intended
recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waive
any privilege that might ordinarily be attached to this communication. Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this
transmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us of
any such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephone
number/email address shown below. Thank you for your cooperation.