Help - molding collection in the tropics

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Thu Oct 17 11:59:48 EDT 2002

John,
Short of adding a room air conditioner, I would think the best bet
would be a combination of desiccant, PDB and weather strip.  Or some
one might donate a few airtight Bioquip-type drawers with really
tight lids and maybe a silicone seal around the glass for extra
security.  The glass lids would still be display-able (a word??).  I
would put any infested collection in a freezer first to kill whatever
possible before putting into new, clean boxes (yeah, I
know...freezer?..in the tropics??)  But then use the PDB and
dessicant anyway.
Best of luck,  Rich

>I was just at a field station in Belize which has a nice "butterfly
>display" with data in their classroom (~200 specimens).  But it has
>two major problems that will ultimately destroy it - so I'm looking
>for ideas about how to at least prolong its life by several years.
>
>It is housed in a less than air-tight display case with a hinged
>glass lid - it probably has about the same surface area as 5 Cornell
>drawers.
>
>Problem one - psocids are eating it alive - I though I would just
>send a couple of no-pest strips and that should wipe out the extra
>insects.. no?  I also though I would send some adhesive weather
>stripping down, so that maybe they could get a seal in place.
>
>Problem two - mold.  Because of the humidity (the station is in a
>small clearing in premontane rainforest), mold is hitting the
>collection pretty hard.  Two things come to mind.  I could send some
>desiccant, but they would have to constantly change and dry it out
>(this is a really damp place).  And, if could send something that
>would at least kill the current batch of mold, that would help a lot
>- but I have no idea what that something might be.
>
>Any ideas or alternate solutions???
>
>Champion of lost causes,
>John
>John Shuey
>Director of Conservation Science
>Indiana Office of The Nature Conservancy

Richard A. Worth
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Plant Division
rworth at oda.state.or.us