Sparring Bugs Question

Chip Taylor chip at ku.edu
Tue Oct 22 11:33:11 EDT 2002

Doug: Are you describing the behavior of territorial/mate-seeking
males? Male monarchs will sometime chase birds for a few meters. I've
also seen migrating monarchs chased by drone honey bees when I've had
the scent of a queen in the air. The monarchs get goosed along their
way. I imagine that the evasive behavior is simply predator
avoidance. Their vision is not that good especially if something is
approaching them from below and behind. If something approaches them
rapidly, they may just get out of the way. (Drones will chase most
anything that moves including medium sized birds if a queen scent is
present.) And, what is carinenta for those of us who don't know this
beastie?

Chip

--
Monarch Watch
e:  monarch at ku.edu
w: http://www.MonarchWatch.org/
Dplex-L:  send message "info Dplex-L" to Listproc at ku.edu
p: 1 (888) TAGGING (toll-free!) -or- 1 (785) 864 4441
f: 1  (785) 864 5321
usps:  University of Kansas, Entomology Program, 1200 Sunnyside
Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045-7534