"The SYN List"

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Wed Oct 23 19:37:31 EDT 2002

Lepsters...

I realize I didn't give many details in my rhetorical "vent" postings,
not wanting to glut this listserv with a litney of all my troubles with
scientific nomenclature resulting from setting up a database of a
biodiversity inventory that took place in Chicago this past August.

But today, while checking my list of Lichens, I stumbled across an
interesting and well-researched, if "not complete" listing (as the
authors warned), on "The Checklist of British Lichens."  This led me to
"The SYN List" (i.e. Synonyms of British Lichens)...and yes, it IS an
appropo play-on-words!  I didn't have time to read it while at work, so I
decided to print a copy of it, not realizing just how extensive a list it
was (!)  When I discovered the magnitude of "syns" in the Lichens
nomenclature alone, I have to admit I felt vindicated!  And if any of you
are interested, the URL is: http://www.thebls.org.uk/syn.htm.

I think it about "says it all..." far more eloquently than I could!

Mary Beth Prondzinski