Glassberg's books

Stanley A. Gorodenski stanlep at extremezone.com
Thu Oct 24 15:07:50 EDT 2002

I received my copy of the Journal yesterday and read the review of
Glassberg's BTB book. I am firmly in the pro-collecting camp (with the
exception of collecting for profit), but looking at the review
objectively I am not certain to what extent the reviewer is espousing
his own ideas pertaining to what he thinks such a book 'should' contain
(because of the danger he sees such a book poses when read in isolation
by a novice) as opposed to being a criticism of the BTB book per se. The
only way I could answer this for myself is to look at the book, but I do
not have a copy. Certainly, it seems to me, that given the book is
intended to be a 'field' guide for photography and binocular viewing,
one would not expect an author to specifically address the advantages
and disadvantage of collecting vs. looking. On the other hand, the
author should not go out of his way to mislead by indicating that
viewing and photographing are the only tools biologists and researchers
need. The reviewer makes statements indicating that this is what
Glassberg has done in his book, but because of the way his review is
worded there is enough doubt in my mind as to whether this is actually
what Glassberg has done. I would would have to look at the book myself.

Even more interesting is the General Note on the collateral affects of
BT on butterfly diversity, species richness, and density. Of special
note was the possible affect of BT on D. plexippus. Two adults were seen
the year of the spray, but none in the following years of the study. The
author states it is possible the two just happened to be migrating
through the area, but it is also possible that BT wiped them out of the
treatment area.

Stan