And more on molds---following up to Anne

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Oct 26 09:14:45 EDT 2002

Anne Kilmer wrote in response to Stan

ANNE THEN WROTE:

> In my experience, stuff infected by fungus (mold etc.) has a different
> taste from uninfected food. Might this not apply here? The mother moth
> surely "tastes" the plant before ovipositing.
> just speculation ...
> Anne Kilmer
>
>  Many years ago Dan Janzen published a paper in the American Naturalist on why
> spoiled things smell (or taste bad).

The idea was that bacteria and/or fungi "deliberately" metabolize their "food"
(and ours) into nasty smelling stuff as a way of hoarding
the food supply and discouraging other eaters (particularly creatures that have
taste buds and olfaction).  From personal experience it usually works.

The flip side, in another (probably also Janzen paper), was that eggs of various
organisms are delicious because you can't go putting noxious compounds in
proximity to delicate embryos which might experience developmental toxicity.

Mike Gochfeld