Tropical Lepidoptera pub.

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Tue Sep 10 00:05:20 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Thomas" <mothman at nbnet.nb.ca>
To: <leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: Tropical Lepidoptera pub.

> Hi All:
> About 10 years ago I paid, in US $, for a series entitled "Lepidoptera
> Species Data Sheets" from the Association for Tropical Lepidoptera  of
> which John Heppner was Executive Director. I'm still waiting.
>
> Tony Thomas

Here is the problem as I see it.  We at The Taxonomic Report have been
disappointed this year that we have fallen so far behind in our publication
schedule.  We are still putting out Volume 3 which should have been
finished last January.  Our policy is to not send out dues/subscription
"billings" till a current volume is finished.  We notified our subscribers
that we would not send a renewal till we were caught up.  We also left it
up to them if they wanted to go ahead and pay for Volume 4 - we also
expected back then that it wouldn't be long till Vol. 3 was finished.
This is the way it should be - don't bill for the next year till the
current obligation is fulfilled.  About 30 individuals and three
institutions went ahead and paid for volume 4 anyway.

At this point we will do one of two things.  Either finish up Vol. 3 in the
next month or so and start 4, or just add a few more issues to 3 and start
4 the first of next year.  We have several papers in process but need more
articles submitted.  If any have not yet visited our web site it is at
http://www.tils-ttr.org  To subscribe or get back volumes go to the
Subscribe link on the header.  The best way to get back volumes is on our
CDs.  $25 post paid.

Ron Gatrelle
TILS president
Charleston, SC - USA
http://www.tils-ttr.org

PS  Our SC-NABN common names list is almost finished.  Well, I should say
up.  We still need lots of input on that list.  We need to know of any taxa
we have missed.  This is especially true for Mexican strays that
occasionally make it to the US.  Also, the TS-ISBN scientific names list in
now in final format stage and slowly going back up.

With the common names list we are not too concerned about taxonomic
alignments of species or what is or isn't valid subspecies.  The point of
the common names list is to make all known common names available on line.
The scientific list to totally concerned with taxonomic alignments as
presented via the scientific literature.