Record Low Monarch population expected in Mexico this winter.

Chip Taylor chip at ku.edu
Sat Sep 14 19:34:22 EDT 2002

The data I've seen for monarchs indicates that egg mortality is high
- usually in excess of 60%. Mortality of first instars is also high
so that the number alive after the first 6-7 days ( 4 days per egg
stage and 2-3 days per first instar) is often less than 15%. Losses
through the remaining instars result in a total mortality of 97-99+%
depending on the local conditions, but most often are close to 99%.
For a female laying 400 eggs this means that on AVERAGE she gives
rise to 4 individuals - sometimes less or more depending on the
conditions. The replacement rate from spg to fall varies from 2-3 to
over 40 females per female. It was extremely low in 2000 quite high
in 2001 and apparently low again this yr. The replacement rate from
spg to fall is lower in yrs with spg droughts in TX and summer
droughts in the midwest. Droughts in the northeast seem to be less
important. Moderate droughts in MN and WISC in July and August may
actually be beneficial.

Eggs are eaten by the usual suspects - ants, thrips, lacewing larvae,
etc. but monarchs do not appear to have egg parasites - perhaps
because of PAs in the eggs. This is something that needs to be looked
at.

Chip

--

Monarch Watch
e: monarch at ku.edu
w: http://www.MonarchWatch.org/
Dplex-L: send message "info Dplex-L" to Listproc at ukans.edu
p: 1 (888) TAGGING (toll-free!) -or- 1 (785) 864 4441
f: 1 (785) 864 5321
usps: University of Kansas, Entomology Program, 1200 Sunnyside
Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045-7534