Base Behavior of Butterflies...

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Wed Sep 25 04:03:01 EDT 2002

> Butterflies don't "bite," "sting," foul our food, cause diseases, or buzz
> in our ears...

Today I came across an interesting exception to the above statement. It
turns out that _Pieris rapae_ (Cabbage Butterfly) caterpillars have on
occasion been found living in the human gut, "...taking up residence pre-
sumably when its host eats raw or undercooked cabbage, and maintained by
his continuing to do so in uncommon amounts." The author suggests chewing
your cabbage thoroughly...

							Ken Philip