Fly Away

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Thu Sep 26 20:13:07 EDT 2002

Well, bless my fly swatter...it's hard to believe that nearly 10 years
have passed since I first received an annoymous packet from the U.S. Fish
& Wildlife containing the preliminary case study on the "Delhi Sands
Flower-Loving Fly!"

I was presiding president of NABA New York at the time...so in the
interest of science (and my position as a disseminator of relevant
species information), I stumped on behalf of the ignoble fly to the New
York chapter...alas, to no avail.  True to the New York state-of-mind:
nothing west of the Hudson had any importance/interest.  Even the
annonymous purveyor of the formidable tome (which I read from cover to
cover), wouldn't come forth when I asked them to reveal themselves (!)
Consequently, the fly "bit-the-dust" (prematurely) on the East
Coast...though I suppose I still retain the copious study somewhere in
one of my unopened boxes of New York effluvia...

Sounds like the fly is about to "bite-the-dust" in its home state as well
(!)  Here we have a fly that IS an "exception" to its maligned taxa
group, expressing similarities to butterflies, and the best advocate that
can be mustered on its behalf is a former "child star" that nobody
remembers (!)

What a world....

M.B. Prondzinski

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 05:30:52 -0400 Mark Walker <MWalker at gensym.com>