Travels, was Re: [leps-talk] St. Pierre d'Entremont - March 24

Anne Kilmer viceroy at GATE.NET
Mon Apr 21 16:00:55 EDT 2003

Antony Moore wrote:

snip

what a wonderful piece of writing, and how I envy you your
four-year-old. My children and grandchildren are far too old to give me
such sweet satisfaction, except for Emily, who, at one, will make her
first visit to the Irish house with her entourage.

One is a bit young for fossil hunting, though I know a place in Donegal
where a felon with a butterknife can collect lovely ancient shells, all
laminated together.

Perhaps the sun will shine this summer, and we will have a good crop of
butterflies to show her. There should, at least, be a fine bunch of
Peacock caterpillars on the nettles.

For my part, I will be on the Celebrity Millennium next Sunday, April
27, with my sweet patootie, and stop briefly at Funchal May 5; Lisbon
the 7th, Gibraltar the 8th, Malaga the 9th, arriving in Barcelona the
11th. Last time, all I saw was a couple of cabbage whites, but being
lugged about in a tourist bus is probably not the best way to examine
wildlife.

If you explore on your own, and don't make it back in time, the boat
leaves without you, taking along your luggage, laptop and passport. This
has never appealed to me. I keep wishing I were more adventurous, but
perhaps I should have thought of this earlier, and led a more healthful
and vigorous life.

I am going to remain offline until I arrive at the Irish house May 16,
and if the world comes to an end, I'll have to find out then.

Yes, I can imagine SARS on a cruise ship, and the ship parked offshore
while we all either die or get well. I can also imagine two weeks of not
reading A Nation at War every day, in the New York Times and the Palm
Beach Post, and a glorious summer of no newspapers at all.
We get Euronews in the early mornings, in Ireland,  nicely balanced and
much pleasanter than CNN, and I don't have to watch it if I don't want to.

I instructed the nasturtiums last summer to be fruitful and multiply and
fill the world, and perhaps they will have done so. It was amazing to
see how much the clematis enjoyed the company of a nasturtium on its
trellis. They bloomed and bloomed in happy chorus.

It's John's turn for the back garden, so the brambles and nettles will
be kept scythed. Plenty of fresh growth for the caterpillars, and
perhaps all the buddleja I planted last year will have thrived and
rooted nicely among the nettles of the compost heap.

It naturalizes in Ireland and is a pernicious weed, and God will just
have to forgive me.

Sophy, the pine marten, will have wintered comfortably in the kitchen
roof. I hope that this year she will not have redecorated the house, and
that our repairs have also kept the mice out.
She was a pretty good houseguest, using the boxroom as her latrine, and
leaving only one dropping at the threshold of our bedroom, Kilroy was
Here. But, between her and the mice, a mess was made.

This is the year to take a cruise, if you're not scared. Prices have
never been so low, and they make you quite comfortable. Transatlantic
cruises are really pretty cheap; about half what a normal cruise will
cost, and this year, what with one thing and another, they're going
begging. They want the rooms filled, because that pays the waiters,
stewards etc. and the boat has to go anyway, full or empty.

When I return in the fall, I hope to find a place in the local butterfly
projects. By then I am sure we will have settled our differences with
NABA and everyone will be getting along splendidly.

I will also have lost 75 pounds and will be running five miles every
evening. I will no longer enjoy chocolate and cheese, and my bent for
sarcasm will have straightened itself out.

Cheers
Anne Kilmer
South Florida