Moths with wing deformities

Monarchrst at aol.com Monarchrst at aol.com
Tue Aug 12 11:58:24 EDT 2003

Replying to Stan Gorodenski's comments on deformed butterflies, I can comment
that I too noted several deformities recently.  Blacklighting in southeast
Arizona, in Santa Cruz County on July 31, 2003, I was struck by the number of
moths coming to the light that exhibited wing crumpling and other wing
deformities.  In almost all cases, only one side was affected, but it was curious in
that it extended to micros as well as macro moths.  This was the first time I
have noticed this in any numbers.  The percentage affected was very low.
Probably out of many thousands of moths, a dozen were so observed.  I attributed it
at the time to the very dry summer that we have been experiencing here in
Arizona.

Ian Watkinson, Yuma, Arizona.