[moth-rah] Re: Off topic but an you help with mexican butterflies?

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Mon Aug 18 11:14:19 EDT 2003

Hi Graham,
A handy book I use is Roberto de la Maza's "Mariposas Mexicanas".  I
don't know if it is still available (mine was from BioQuip a few
years ago), and the text is all in Spanish, but there are a number of
plates covering all families of butterflies.  I'm sure you could hunt
one down on the internet.  I hear that not all copies are good
printings, i.e. text may be a bit blurred in a few spots and a some
pictures are a bit washed out, as is the case with mine, but there
are good ones.  It's good for quick general reference and will get
most of your stuff to species.  The subtleties of the fauna are not
really covered.  Handy and worth it though if you will be going down
there a few times.  Between it and the DeVries volumes for Costa Rica
you can get a lot of the Central American fauna covered, too.
Cheers and best of luck,  Rich

>Hi all,
>I have just joined this group and wondered if any one can help.  I have just
>retruned from a trip to Quinatana roo and Yucatan in Mexico.  Besides the hige
>number of moth species I also photographed a large number of butterflies.
>Can anyone suggest an ID web site, book(s) or CD to help with the ID of the
>butterflies?
>Any help appreciated.
>Regards,
>Graham Ekins
>Grahamekins at aol.com

>Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
>Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
>Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
>http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/CCYolB/TM

Richard A. Worth
Oregon Department of Agriculture