range of light attraction

Robert Dana robert.dana at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Aug 18 11:16:48 EDT 2003

Hello all:

Can anyone point me to research on the distance at which lights elicit
phototaxis in moths? I recently saw a newspaper article in which it was
reported that pollination rates for the western prairie fringed orchid,
Platanthera praeclara, were enhanced by placing black lights near them.
This plant is effectively pollinated only by sphinx moths and it
produces an intense fragrance from just before sundown until ?. I would
think this odor would be a much more effective long-distance attractant
than a black light. Also, if moths are drawn to the black light, I would
expect this to interfere with flower visiting. (I don't have any details
about the "experimental" set up--what the specs for the light were, just
how it was placed relative to the plants, etc.) Any thoughts from those
with experience attracting moths with lights?

Robert

Robert Dana, Ph.D.
MN DNR
Natural Heritage and Nongame Research Program
500 Lafayette Rd, Box 25
St. Paul, MN 55155
651 297-2367
Email: robert.dana at dnr.state.mn.us