Nikon Coolpix

Charles Bird cdbird at telus.net
Thu Feb 13 10:35:52 EST 2003

Hi Tony,

I have a Nikon Coolpix 4500 and have been photographing a lot of pinned
micro moths with it. I often have the lens within an inch of a moth. I
really don't know what the f-stop is - I just let the camera do its thing.
I have a ring light for it, but find that I get either a red or a blue cast
with it even though I have tried my best to have the white balance set
right. My best shots are when I use natural light, preferably cloudy (not
too bright) with no shadows. Play around with the white balance settings to
get the best results. I have tried various backgrounds and prefer white,
although off white and light blue are not bad. I use Photoshop 7 to crop,
work with the color balance, then add text. I then save a .psd file; then
flatten the image, reduce the image size to 640 pixels and 72 resolution,
then save .jpg and a .tif files.

I have a friend who has a 995 and photographs pinned macro moths with it.
He prefers natural light and a light blue background.

Contact me in person if you have questions or if would would like to see an
image or two.

Charley

At 10:07 AM 13/02/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi:
>         I am currently using a borrowed Nikon Coolpix 995 to photograph
> pinned moths. It focuses as close as 1 inch in macro mode and stops down
> to about f11.
>         Does anyone have experience with either the Coolpix 4500, or the
> Nikon 5700? Specifically, I would like to know how close one can get in
> macro mode and what is the smallest f-stop in macro mode?
>
>Thanks
>
>Tony

>   http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/lepsl

Charles Bird, Box 22, Erskine, Alberta, Canada, T0C 1G0