Field day In Orange County

Michael Klein keps2 at flite-tours.com
Tue Jan 7 20:42:21 EST 2003

Well, I had to go into the field today to begin my 2003 biology consulting
season.  I was in San Juan Capistrano performing some survey work.  Because
of the extremely warm Santa Ana winds and temperatures, insect activity was
starting to pick up.

Of note was a female green lacewing ovipositing on some mulefat where a
large group of aphids were at.  Those that are aware of it, lacewing larvae
eat aphids.

On the butterfly plate were also some interesting observations:
3 Anthocharis sara of which 2 were definitely male, the other may have been
a female
1 Icaricia acmon - female
2 Nymphalis antiopa
2 Pyrgus albescens both female

I did have a white and was not able to get a clear visual of it.  Based an
what I was able to see, it could have been Pontia protodice but I am not
ruling out sisymbrii.  This would be a great find along the coast.  I will
be back onsite tomorrow, so you can guarantee I will be looking for that
critter.

Michael Klein
San Diego