common names help

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Tue Jan 14 22:29:08 EST 2003

We are still very much in need of feedback on the SC-NABN list of common
names
http://tils-ttr.org/sc-nabn/index.html .  Ken Davenport recently pointed
out a couple silly omissions on the swallowtail list - (one relative to
Papilio zelicaon).  The swallowtails list was the first one I compiled and
did so without the aid of the 1992 official standardized list edited (in
part) by Dr. J.Y. Miller published by the Smithsonian Press.  I though I
had cleaned it up with the Miller list - but obviously missed a couple
important items.

So as any of you peruse that list be sure and utilize the "comments" link.
(We rarely respond to messages sent via that link, so don't expect a
reply.)  There are a number of taxa without common names, most of which
were published in the Western Systematics book edited by Emmel.  I have
contacted some of those authors and asked if they had coined any common
names of the taxa they described.  However, common names are those is
common usage by the average lepsters in the regions where a taxon occurs.

Thank in advance
Ron Gatrelle