Celastrina sp. (Azures)

Todd Redhead todd.redhead at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 29 17:32:45 EST 2003

I have a question about the Celastrina sp called the Cherry Gall Azure.
I have posted a couple of pictures at:
http://www.redheadandcompany.com/Azures/azures.html  The one on the left
I believe is a C. ladon lucia (Spring Azure) however the one on the
right I am not so sure of. These were both caught on June 1st of 2002
just north of Midland, Ontario (on the south side of Georgian Bay.)
Going by flight dates in Layberry, this would be on the late side for C.
ladon (Spring Azure) and a bit early for C. neglecta (Summer Azure).
There is a fair amount of while coloring on the right one but not as
much as I'm used to seeing in C. neglecta (Summer Azure).  Could the
right hand one be a Cherry Gall Azure?  What are the features to look at
to confirm ID?

Todd