cocoon on spirea

Dr. James Adams jadams at em.daltonstate.edu
Mon Mar 10 13:56:03 EST 2003

At 09:54 AM 3/10/03 -0800, you wrote:
>>Hi All,
>>If John's measurements are correct on website the cocoon is much too
>>small for either cecropia or polphemus.
>>Cecropia cocons are usually at least three inches long and tapered
>>sometimes at both ends, always near the top.
>>Polyphemus cocoons are at least 1/2-3/4 inch wide and about 1-1.5 inches
>>long. Usually they are not affixed to twigs unless suspended by a shrt
>>peduncle.
>>Pictures of cocoons of both species in the polyphemus article at
>><http://www3.islandtelecom.com/~oehlkew>http://www3.islandtelecom.com/~oehlkew
>>If dimensions are correct, then it is probably a small moth with wingspan
>>about 1 inch.
>>

>Sorry, I didn't notice the text on the dimensions - I just saw a cocoon
>attached to a twig.

Hey, having seen the cocoon, and knowing the dimensions, I still do not
think that Doug is necessarily incorrect.  Polyphemus is still a
possibility -- I have seen developmental runts that are truly
remarkable.  I have a Luna Moth in my collection that is an inch and a half
in wingspan, and I have seen a Polyphemus Moth in Richard Heitzman's
collection that is slightly *smaller*.  The *form* of the cocoon is *not*
correct for any group of northeastern U.S. moths other than a
saturniid.  John, you are correct that Lasiocampid cocoons are of a very
different form.

         James

James K. Adams
Phone: (706)272-4427
FAX:  (706)272-2235
Visit the Georgia Lepidoptera Website:
    www.daltonstate.edu/galeps/
Also check out the Southern Lepidopterists' Society new Website:
    www.southernlepsoc.org/