UI Connecticut cocoon

Stanley A. Gorodenski stanlep at extremezone.com
Tue Mar 11 02:10:14 EST 2003

Up to now I haven't looked at the image or read any responses because I did
not think I could add anything. After reading everyone else's response, I
will give my two cents worth.

It definitely does not look like a Cecropia cocoon. Other's have already
described the appearance and dimensions of Cecropia cocoons that match the
ones I used to collect in Erie, Pennsylvania.

Some have said it could be a Polyphemus moth, but all the cocoons I have
collected in Erie, which is in the east as is Connecticut, all have been in
trees, not on the ground (which is more prevalent in the west), and they
all hung by a cord of silk. They were never attached like this one. Based
on this and its dimensions I would rule out a Polyphemus moth.

I think it is more likely a Prometheus moth. If I recall they also hang by
a cord of silk, but their cocoons are about the right dimensions as
described for this one. It may be possible a behaviorally aberrant
caterpillar attached its cacoon this way instead of with a cord of silk.

Stan