Having Fun

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon May 12 12:15:05 EDT 2003

I never posted on my outrageous lepping adventure with Leroy Koehn and Denni
Currutt, who came to visit me in SoCal from Kentucky and Ohio - oh well,
it's ancient history now.  We had a most memorable tour of Southern
California, visiting 8 counties in just five days (April 23 - 28).  The
butterflying was incredible, even though the weather was dismal (we ran
frantically from impending gray skies), and the species count was well over
50.  As many as four different ssp. of Euphydryas chalcedona alone were
encountered.  On day four we hooked up with Ken Davenport and had some fun
playing in Kelso Valley, and on day five we joined Ken and Kenn Kaufman on a
natural history tour of the southeastern Sierra.  Leroy was forever equipped
with his "lucky hat", of which I am now a true believer, as he essentially
fell down at one point only to find a gorgeous specimen of Megathymus yuccae
martini flopping about in his net.  OK, so maybe he DID see it sunning
itself on the sand before he fell over - the whole callisthenic was still
something right out of Harry Potter.

I really had a good time with these guys.  There isn't a nicer guy than
Denni Currutt - he must have had more than his full of the boisterous type,
with Leroy and I jawing back and forth eternally.  It was quite a road trip.

And what a joy to have met and experienced some field time with Kenn
Kaufman.  I'll look forward to doing that again sometime.

Now, I prepare to leave on an extended missionary trip to the Philippines.
It's another His Healing Hands medical trip, this time without my marriage
partner of 19 years.  If you're inclined to pray, please do so.  Also, if
you're interested, you can find out more about the mission at

 http://www.hishealinghands.com/planned_events.htm
<http://www.hishealinghands.com/planned_events.htm> .

And I'll be sure and document any interesting butterfly encounters.

See you soon,

Mark Walker