It's fall and time for a new round of Monarch Extinction press releases.

Stanley A. Gorodenski stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org
Wed Nov 12 11:30:48 EST 2003

Paul, et al,
I read all the references Paul gave (one could not be found) and I did
not get the impression from any of these articles that Oberhauser and
fellow researchers were crying wolf, applying bad science, and,
especially, predicting the the extinction of the population of Monarchs
that migrate to Mexico, let alone the entire species. These are excerpts
from the news articles Paul provided:

"The scientists point out that the monarch may be expected to survival
climate change better than some animals that cannot migrate. However,
their highly specific requirements for surviving the winter months make
them especially vulnerable to any changes."
and
"Three things could happen," said Oberhauser, whose study was published
online Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
"They could go extinct. They could adapt. Or they could go somewhere else."
and
"Oberhauser said she could not say what would happen to the butterflies
if wet winters in the micro-climate became the norm."
and
"They could become a year-round breeding species like they are in Hawaii,"

None of these look like "dire predictions" as Paul describes them, and,
apparently, as some on this list look upon these news articles. Who is
being objective and who is being biased? Who is crying wolf and who is
not? It does not appear to me that it is Oberhauser and fellow
researchers are guilty of the latter and I am glad someone is doing
"actual" research in this area.
Stan
p.s. As I have already stated, I have no position on the danger to the
Monarch.