The enemy ants

Dr. James Adams jadams at em.daltonstate.edu
Wed Nov 12 13:50:32 EST 2003

Listers,

         Well, I've had cockroaches eat some very unique specimens (part of
the wings of a bilateral gynandromorph white female/yellow male Colias, and
my only Schinia florida at the time), and had mice eat others (a Catocala
maestosa comes to mind . . .), and psocids get almost all of one drawer of
specimens that had been stored away during a move, and ants get some
specimens in the tropics and actually work their way into a tightly sealed
drawer of GA saturniids.  It *is* an extension of Murphy's law that the
most important specimens on the boards are the ones they go after, and it
is also true that when you become lax, leaving boards out instead of
putting them away, that the specimen eaters will let you get away with it
until you spread something *very* special.  That's what happened with my M.
cosmion.  I'd been leaving boards out for months with no problem.

         However, although all this talk of experiences with specimen
eaters is interesting, it was *not* the intent of my original message to
start this thread (though I have no control over what you run with).  I was
trying to convey my enthusiasm for moths and the fact that, even this late
in the year, and after 13 years of living in this area, I'm still getting
plenty of interesting stuff, an remarkably several very unique specimens in
a very short period of time!

James

James K. Adams
Phone: (706)272-4427
FAX:  (706)272-2235
Visit the Georgia Lepidoptera Website:
    http://www.daltonstate.edu/galeps/
Also check out the Southern Lepidopterists' Society new Website:
    http://www.southernlepsoc.org/