[leps-talk] Re: The enemy ants

Woody Woods woody.woods at umb.edu
Wed Nov 12 13:44:35 EST 2003

Army ants, indeed-- I twice had a 2-3 foot wide band of them come through an
old wooden house I way staying in in Costa Rica (when you say "old" and
"wooden" down there, it means that anything smaller than a wood rat can just
walk in). Just amazing to watch-- the first time, I was worried about my
computers and other electronic gear, because some insects just seem to love
circuit boards; I sprayed a line of DEET right across the band, but after a
half minute of discombolulation they reassembled and continued as though
nothing had happened.  Luckily these guys never went near the equipment.
What was remarkable was watching how spiders, beetles and other ants came
popping out of the planking chinks outside the house-- never knew I had so
many roommates. What was even more amazing was that the army ants didn't
touch some live butterflies I had in hanging cages or glassine envelopes
awaiting measurement-- the whole event was so dramatic that I just plain
forgot about them (their "army intelligence" could use some work!).

The second time, I just let 'em rip-- think of it as housecleaning!

Woody

William A. Woods Jr.
Department of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston