Monarch Extinction press releases.

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Wed Nov 12 20:05:59 EST 2003

Stan wrote:

> I read all the references Paul gave (one could not be found) and I did
> not get the impression from any of these articles that Oberhauser and
> fellow researchers were crying wolf, applying bad science, and,
> especially, predicting the the extinction of the population of Monarchs
> that migrate to Mexico

Stan, I have found Dr's Karen Oberhauser, Lincoln Brower and Chip Taylor
have all talked about the imminent possibility of monarch extinction in public
statements. Here are some specific examples  (captitals my emphasis):

In this weeks' press releases Karen Oberhauser told the reporters:
"They could go EXTINCT. They could adapt. Or they could go somewhere
 else."

On his Monarch Watch website Dr. Chip Taylor writes:
http://monarchwatch.org/conserve/index.htm

"Given the great numbers of Monarchs (up to 100 million) that gather to
migrate each fall, it is hard to imagine them facing any threat of EXTINCTION.
In reality, however, Monarchs and their amazing annual migration are seriously
threatened by human activities, in both their summer and overwintering sites."