Is it really a Failure?

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Wed Nov 19 14:57:14 EST 2003

Jorge,

Gene flow between closely related species (usually within a genus) is
rather common in flowering plants and in some animals.

Edgar Anderson documented this in Iris and then in several other plants
(see his book on Introgressive Hybridization) one half century ago).
Plant systematics papers and books in the 1960's often showed the
results of artificially made crosses between species, and as Charles
Darwin had suggeste back in 1859, speciation is clearly not a black or
white thing in many genera.

Hybrid oaks, mustards, rhododendrons, evening primroses, etc., et multa
cetera show that such hybridizations are common.

More recently work in vertebrates by John Avise at Georgia has shown
that introgressive hybridization is common especially for mitochondrial
DNA which flits between species readily. See his 2000 book
Phylogeography for references.

Patrick
patfoley at csus.edu