Iowa Moths

Danielle DeBruyne danielle_debruyne at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 21:03:29 EST 2003

Hello Listservers,

I'm a new grad student at Iowa State University, and I'm thinking of doing my thesis on Schinia indiana and Schinia lucens (Phlox flower moth and Leadplant flower moth) in Iowa.  I will most likely be looking at metapopulation dynamics.  Is anyone on the list familiar with these species...particularly in Northwest Iowa (Emmet, Palo Alto, Dickenson, Clay Counties)?

I'm also looking into other species that might be good research subjects.  I'd like to work with species that are monophagous (at least in Iowa...i.e. the leadplant moth feeds on two species of Amorpha, but only one of those occurs in Iowa).  I'd also like the host plant to be a native, ground-layer plant, which is fairly common in natural areas, but not elsewhere.  Any suggestions on fairly common moths that would fit these criteria?

Thanks for your help!

Danielle DeBruyne