moth web sites affected

Daniel Grosboll dangrosboll at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 8 12:15:42 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I have a question regarding egg laying in skippers.  Does anyone have any
suggestions on getting them to lay eggs in captivity?  I am working with the
mardon skipper (Polites mardon) and have had only limited success in getting
egg production in captivity.  We need the eggs for captive rearing to allow
reintroduction into areas from which they have been extirpated.  We have
tried different temperatures/sunlight, putting some host plant into the
cage, bare cages, corrugated material and the skippers were fed.  The
average egg production was 6 per female with a range from 0-24.

Dan Grosboll
Endangered Species Recovery Biologist
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
P.O. Box 385
Littlerock, WA 98556
360.273.1820
dangrosboll at earthlink.net