Fungus Eating Moth (not fungus-eating moth)

Bill Yule droberts03 at snet.net
Wed Sep 24 13:03:15 EDT 2003

Nice picture from the rotten world of Fungi John.   There's always a fungus
among us and this one appears to me to be Cordyceps tuberculata, a species
that specializes in adult moths and is southern in distribution (North
Carolina). If John saves it I'll look at the spores and confirm the ID as
the spores of this species (of Fungus) are very unique and break up into
segments 4-6 X 0.5 microns.   Cordyceps are fungi that produce fruit bodies
on many insects and pupae and are endlessly fascinating if you happen to
like things like the movie "Alien". Cordyceps are the fungal equivilent of
parasitic wasp larva.

                                          Bill Yule
                  Connecticut Valley Mycological Society
                   Connecticut Butterfly Association