Missouri collecting

glaucus glaucus at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 17 01:51:45 EDT 2004

Hi all,

     Well, I am continuing my Lepidoptera research this year in Missouri. I
really appreciated all of your help last year, and I'd like to rely on your
expertise again. First, a general question, as to reliable collecting
sites...I am interested in traveling to any part of the state and am most
interested in Papilionids, Nymphalids, Saturniids, and Sphingids. I would
greatly appreciate any advice as to where to go, and any sharing of your
collecting experiences would be of tremendous benefit. Puddling areas and
flower attractants are of the greatest importance to me. Any help would be
appreciated! Secondly, to those of you who have good collecting data and
especially to those of you living in MO, I would like to know what's flying!
I am prepared to leave at the drop of a hat (though more notice is better of
course!). Last year some of you were kind enough to tell me when you spotted
various species on the wing, and it made my research all the more
productive. I hope you would be as kind again. I am hoping to hit the first
brood emergences of Zebra and Giant Swallowtails, which I missed last year.
Zebras should be on the wind in late April/early May, but I need to know
where. As always, if you need any material from MO (also, anything from
central/northern IL), let me know and I'll see what I can do. Many thanks
again, and to all us Midwesterners...let the season begin! Please e-mail me
directly at glaucus at earthlink.net  Thanks!

Regards,

Marc