San Diego Day looking for Hermlycaena hermes larvae

Michael Klein keps2 at flite-tours.com
Sat Apr 24 19:04:04 EDT 2004

I spent the day looking for hermes copper larvae.  Since the October
fires had such an impact on the occupied areas, I figured I would look
at unburned areas where I have previously had adults.  No luck today
finding larvae but here is what I did see:

My first stop was just off of Interstate 8 within the Cleveland National
Forest at Hwy 79:

Papilio zelicaon - 1

Plebejus icaroides evius - 1 F

Plebejus acmon - 1 F, 4 M

Plebejus lupine monticola - 1 M

Vanessa cardui - 5 appeared to be heading in a westerly direction

Erynnis funeralis - 1

Erynnis afranius - 1

Hemaris diffinis - Snowberry clearwing moth

I then went to a Guatay site which has a good population of Arrowhead
blues.  I did not know if they would be flying yet but since temps were
in the 80's and it is late April, it was worth a look see.  I did get
some Arrowhead blues and here is the rest of my list:

Papilio zelicaon - 1

Pontia protodice - 1

Anthocharis sara - 1 F, 3 M

Colias harfordii - 1 F

Abaeis [Eurema] nicippe - 1 M summer form

Celistrina echo - 4 F, 10 M

Glaucopsyche piasus umbrosa or sagittigera - 3 F, 9 M

Plebejus icaroides evius - 4 F, 15 M

Plebejus acmon - 1 F, 6 M

Chlosyne gabbii - 1 M

Vanessa cardui - 50+ again dispersing west and southwest

Pyrgus albescens - 1 M

The arrowhead blues I am still not convinced these are a different
subspecies from those in the Laguna and Palomar Mountains.  Further
study needs to be done on them.

Michael Klein

San Diego