The Monarchs have recovered from last winter's big freeze in Mexico

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Fri Aug 27 11:03:31 EDT 2004

Just an observation here.  I also have seen more Pacific coast
Monarchs here in Western Oregon (West of the Cascades) this year than
in the last six years.  I've counted about 10 here in the valley.  I
saw maybe one in all the other years combined.  Nice pictures Paul.
Some of that clover is likely grown from certified seed raised in
Oregon.  ;-)
Rich

>In the past, the monarchs have always quickly recovered from big
>winter kills and this past summer has been no exception.  Here are
>some picturesI took during a recent trip to the upper Midwest (in
>the heart of YieldGard Bt corn and Roundup Ready Corn &
>Soybean Country):
>
>http://www.saber.net/~monarch/2004a.jpg
>
>http://www.saber.net/~monarch/2004b.jpg
>
>http://www.saber.net/~monarch/2004c.jpg
>
>http://www.saber.net/~monarch/2004d.jpg
>
>http://www.saber.net/~monarch/2005e.jpg
>
>http://www.saber.net/~monarch/2004f.jpg
>
>http://www.saber.net/~monarch/2004g.jpg
>
>So the size of the monarch migration headed to Mexico this coming
>fall should be pretty close to normal.
>
>Paul Cherubini
>El Dorado, Calif.

Richard A. Worth