Recent Boston Globe "monarchs are threatened" article

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Fri Jul 9 18:08:13 EDT 2004

Stan,

Monarchs of Eastern North America have a collection of traits (color,
behavior, lifespan etc) which are, of course, maintained by a genetic
system interacting with an ecological system. There is surely some
genetic diversity for the migratory behavior. And the environments
change all the time. So the migratory behavior is not set in stone, but
neither is it a ghostly apparition. If the Monarchs have more young by
making the Migration than by some other lifehistory choice, then the
Migration will continue. If milkweeds in some area decline to some
critical density, a path through that area will become increasingly
selected against. If an overwintering site has high enough mortality,
the behavior of choosing that site will be selected against.

Humans may cause the changes to the migratory path, as do other
ecological influences. Climate, weed eradication, logging are all
human-influenced, but of course climate and vegetation change occurs
"naturally".  It is not necessary to lay blame on humans, in order to
find ways to avoid disrupting the Migration. Encourage the milkweeds and
the oyamel fir. But keep in mind that we really don't know most of what
there is to know about the evolution of this complex migratory behavior.
Maybe the perfect timing of nectar plants along the path is a key
feature. Or the avoidance of predators. Or fungi!

Patrick
patfoley at csus.edu