Speyeria cybele larvae

Glaucus glaucus at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 13 14:12:18 EDT 2004

Hello,

I am in the Chicago area, and around June 25th, I noticed a huge emergence
of Great Spangled Fritillaries (for here anyway!) I saw not less then
150-200 in a few hours at a spot I know of. I would love to find some
caterpillars and raise them, but am having a terrible time locating their
foodplant, Violet. There are no Violets in bloom here, and despite seeing
several leaves that appear to be the foodplant, I have come up dry. I would
appreciate any pointers from people having experience finding wild larvae of
Speyeria. Thanks!!