[leps-talk] 'dancing' pupae

Rob Vandermoor lepidopterists at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 15 23:21:27 EDT 2004

 Norbert, I have only witnessed once something similar to this. August 26,1988 I collected a species of Lymantriidae larva and shortly after pupation it began to emit a sound from within its cocoon. When the cocoon was picked up the cocoon would literally vibrate. Of course I had to carefully dissect the cocoon to see what was going on... what else could I do? When disturbed the pupa would spin like a top first one way and then the other way creating a vibrating screeching sound as the pupa rubbed against the inside of the cocoon. At the time my first thoughts were that this sound might help ward off birds and insectivores but now think that this behavior might actually insight a feeding response.. not a good thing if you are a relatively helpless pupa.

 Robert Vandermoor
 Coquitlam, BC
 Canada.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor