Fwd: Monarch saviors

Hank Brodkin hbrodkin at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 9 08:53:24 EST 2004

Alex et al-
Surely by now someone has answered this - but just in case -
My first bit of advice would be not to accept everything one reads in the
paper!  Many times they get their facts wrong.
Besides federal laws that are mentioned, many states have laws against
killing birds of prey.  Some states do have exceptions if these birds are
taking poultry, etc.
Why ???  Because in the early part of the last century they were used as
target practice.  It was not uncommon to see these magnificent and useful
birds hanging on the barbed wire fences by the dozens, especially during
migration.
Some hawks do take birds.  Occaisionally Cooper's Hawk and Goshawk (a much
rarer bird) will take chickens.
Red-tailed Hawks do not even take poultry.  While they will eat a bird as
large as a Meadowlark or a dove, most of their food is comprised of
rodents - the same rodents that cause a great deal of harm to the crops of
the idiots who like to kill these graceful. slow-moving and confiding birds.
They will also take snakes.  Whatever killed the farmer's livestock (if
indeed anything was killed) it was NOT a Red-tailed Hawk.  Fortunately the
judge probably knew this and gave the guy what he deserved.
It serves no purpose whatever to kill these beautiful, useful birds.  You
can't eat them.  Many of my friends out here are hunters.  They respect the
game they take and they eat what they kill (and fortunatley invite us over
for dinner frequently).
But I have no sympathy for that farmer - or for anyone who kills just to
kill. And thanks for reminding me, Alex and Paul, I have just sent a nice
gift to the Sierra Club and another one to the Audubon Society.  I am proud
to be one of those "WHO" not so secretly lurk ;-)

Hank Brodkin
Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
hbrodkin at earthlink.net
"Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
by Bob Stewart, Priscilla Brodkin and Hank Brodkin
http://home.earthlink.net/~hbrodkin/index.html
SouthEast Arizona Butterfly Association (SEABA)
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/home.html