[leps-talk] RE: Fwd: Monarch saviors

Jonathan Sylvestre josylvestre at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 10 14:10:20 EST 2004

I think you just dont understand what i said, I will try to explain you

First, i will ignore this :

"But for what does "nature" exist, for what was it created? Or for
> what specifically has Man been created? Man was created to be the Steward,
> the Caretaker of nature, he was called to KNOW it, to study it, even to
> enter into Communion with it...They were created actually, for each
> other...Now, of course, Man was NOT created to destroy nature "

because i dont think that man was CREATED for something and NATURE was
created for something....  Religion have no place in scientific discutions
Just the fact that you splitted man and nature tell me that you cansider man
as not a part of nature..
By the way, I dont think this is the subject.

First, I said that "virgin" place should be kept with limited access. That
mean that we should keep "original ecosystems" so that we can study it, and
preserve it for the next generations. Only the nature can take care of
nature. The man can't take care of nature, the man can't take care of its
own species.. so how he can take care of million of species ??? we just
begin to understand how complex is the life.

Secondly, i never said that collector cause butterflies extinctions. I meant
that in some place, butterflies collecting should be limited only for study.
Collecting butterflies help knowing them and then protect them and educate
people.

I agree you with one point, you said :

"I hope that Jonathan is NOT saying that man
> must be consigned, perhaps as "sub-humans" to the cities, because it seems
> to me that this is precisely part of the problem...People are losing
contact
> with, the knowledge of, and the intimacy with, nature...People are more
and
> more being herded into, consigned to the (ugly) cities, where youth see
> little more day after day than concrete, ugly buildings, and everything
else
> that goes along with this drudgery.."

Yes, man should keep contact with nature to know it and protect it... but
how can 7 billion of people can have contact with nature ?  in many "Parc"
(the parc was created for that), they have problem with to too great density
of visitor... just imagine if everyone decide to go into forest tomorrow ???

Im sorry, my egnlish is not very well.. so maybe i dont choose the rigths
word

I have a question for you, do you live in a city ?

Jo

"Grkovich, Alex" <agrkovich at tmpeng.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:D10E57119AA2D511A61800902773FBE5012C9487 at NTFS2...
> [...]
> must be consigned, perhaps as "sub-humans" to the cities, because it seems
> to me that this is precisely part of the problem...People are losing
contact
> with, the knowledge of, and the intimacy with, nature...People are more
and
> more being herded into, consigned to the (ugly) cities, where youth see
> little more day after day than concrete, ugly buildings, and everything
else
> that goes along with this drudgery...Man was NOT called to a "sub-human"
> life of city drudgery; he has a higher calling in which he is to KNOW the
> Creation, and to UNDERSTAND it (as it was written, "...you shall name
> them...")
>
> And...of course, if man is to study nature, well, then of course he has to
> continue to collect specimens for scientific study, doesn't he? Has the
> taxonomic study of Lepidoptera in recent years declined, or expanded? I
> would definitely say the latter...It seems to me that we are in fact at
the
> present time only SCRATCHING at the taxonomic study of our Butterflies and
> Skippers, and even less than that on our Moths...
>
> And...as far as "collectors" causing butterfly extinctions are concerned,
we
> all know that numerous studies have been made by scientists including Paul
> Opler, Paul Ehrlich etc. in which experiments were made, where deliberate
> attempts to wipe out a butterfly colony by overcollecting in the colony
> proved impossible...The idea of "collectors" causing extinctions of
> butterfly species/subspecies has never been documented anywhere and must
be
> considered as a total myth...And the truth of the extinction of Mitchell's
> Satyr in NJ is now becoming widely known..."Collectors" did not cause the
> butterfly to disappear in NJ as "someone" wrote (and it probably still
> exists there unknown to us)...it was loss of habitat resulting from
> excessive development, and in at least one case, a colony was destroyed by
> overgrowth of sedges caused by the cessation of mowing of the vegetation
> where the colony existed (under a power line - and there is another
rumored
> cause of this extinction)...As it has been pointed out, "collectors" have
> collected for decades in Michigan's Mitchell's colonies, without the loss
of
> a single colony, and I also hear that more colonies have been discovered
in
> Michigan, as well as in several other states (so just WHY is the species
> "endangered"???)...But a freeway is NOW being planned in Michigan that
would
> extend RIGHT THROUGH a major colony...
>
> I also have the text of an interesting editorial by Dr. James A. Scott,
> which deals with a number of these very sensitive topics...I will forward

And