[leps-talk] RE: Anaea andria and Asterocampa clyton

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Thu Oct 7 09:39:17 EDT 2004

Two things:

1. Are there, in anyone's opinion/experience, any differences between The
Goatweed Butterfly (*Anaea andria*) from the mid-south (i.e. Texas to
Tennessee), and the southwest (Arizona)?

2. I have previously written about how Hackberry Emperors (*Asterocampa
celtis*) from the lower Ohio River Valley (i.e. near Dayton, Ohio) resemble
the Texas subspecies *antonia*...Specimens that I have, however, from
Columbus, Ohio (less than 100 miles east-northeast of Dayton, are however,
"normal" northern *celtis*...The same can be said for the Tawny Emperor (*A.
clyton*) as well...Specimens of *A. c. texana* that I took last weekend in
west San Antonio and at Hondo Creek (Medina Co., along Rt. 90 - where by the
way, the Janais Patch [*C. janais*] also occurs abundantly) are in fact much
like many of those in my collection from near Dayton... This is a long way
up the Mississippi/Ohio River Valley for the southern (or southwestern)
influence to occur...And apparently, the region near Dayton in southwestern
Ohio represents the northern limits of this phenomenon...

Anyone noticed this?

Alex