Monarchs and Monoculture in southern Michigan

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 07:07:11 EDT 2005

On Friday 26 August 2005 03:21, Ed Reinertsen wrote:
> Paul and all
>
> Do you think if  we used the recovery data (numbers) we have now that
> we could come-up with a ratio between Eastern population and the Atlantic
> population before
> and after 2001? Would this give us a true picture whether or not GM crops
> have affected the monarchs?
>
> Ed Reinertsen

No it wouln't. The major and overwhelming factor in determining tag recovery
numbers in Mexico is the weather there. Not the number of monarchs.
When  strong winter storms kill off monarchs the recovery figures rise
considerably.

That is what you would be measuring, not anything to do with GM crops.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/