"Columbus Theory" was Monarchs and Monoculture in southern Michigan

Ed Reinertsen ereinertsen at iprimus.com
Tue Aug 30 14:25:30 EDT 2005

Tim and all

I don't have a firm decision on the "Columbus Theory". I Would like to add
to the debate two more pieces of information.

Quoting Alex Netherton:
"Deforestation was rampant in the eastern US from about 1670 on. Clearing
land for farms in the 18th century wiped out a lot of unspoiled forests,
and the timber boom of the late 1800's and early 1900's pretty much
chewed up all the old growth forest. I have seen photos of denuded
mountains taken in this area in the 1920's. (Western North Carolina)
This was true of most of the Appalachians and most of the Eastern US;
after the timber "harvest" (call it rape) and the resulting "slash"
(waste branches, leaves, small trees), much of the Southern Appalachians
burned with a great fire in 1919, in many places scorching the ground
over a foot deep. I can take you to a place on the Blue Ridge Parkway
where this happened. Though a lovely place, no trees grow on it, and it
is called "Graveyard Fields". In 1900 it was a great forest."

Quoting Phil Schappert:
"Land use changes in Ontario and most southern regions of Canada over the
last 200 years have likely served to increase the range of Milkweeds,
especially those species such as A. syriaca and A. speciosa which grow in
open situations. There is no doubt that Monarch ranges have increased over
the last 50 years. Urquhart & Urquhart (1979a) give the breeding range of
the Monarch in Ontario during the years 1937-1940 as Kingston to Goderich
(approx. 44° N) and south with low numbers breeding in Barrie and Midland to
the north. By 1975 they found that the Monarch was commonly breeding along
the north shore of Lake Huron from Sudbury to Sault Ste. Marie (47° N) and
in Thunder Bay and that in 1977 Monarchs were considerably more common at
Sault Ste. Marie than they were at Toronto (Urquhart & Urquhart 1979a).
Similarly Urquhart & Urquhart (1979a) reported no breeding in B.C. or
Alberta with only scattered larvae recorded through Saskatchewan and
Manitoba in the 1940-44 period. More recent records show that breeding does
occur in B.C. and Alberta (C. Guppy, pers. comm.; Bird et al. 1995) and that
they are now more common in Saskatchewan and Manitoba (Hooper 1973; Klassen
et al. 1989). This recent range expansion may slow somewhat but is expected
to continue."

Ed Reinertsen